Following the press conference on Monday, PEMRA now has announced that the offices of Prime Minister and the Chief of Army Staff have contacted the authority and started the investigation on the matter of threatening calls.
پیمرا ملازمین کو دھمکیوں پر وزیر اعظم، آرمی چیف کے دفاتر کا چئیرمین ابصار عالم سے رابطہ، تحفظ کی یقین دہانی، تحیقات کا آغاز کر دیا گیا pic.twitter.com/PsGRU6rYnS
— Report PEMRA (@reportpemra) May 11, 2017
Rather going to concerned authorities such as FIA, Absar Alam, on Monday, held a press conference saying that the federal body’s employees were being threatened and its authority was being undermined. He further shared his thoughts saying that if powers could not be granted to PEMRA, then the institution should be shut down.
“If we are not given protection then it won’t be possible for us to operate,” he said. Referring to some anonymous callers, Absar Alam showed its fear for his employees, and requested Chief of Army Staff, Chief Justice of Pakistan and the Prime Minister to investigate the issue of threats.
Chairman PEMRA stated that stay orders are being issued on show-cause notices. PEMRA previously cancelled the license of BOL News and BOL Entertainment and then Sindh High Court stayed the PEMRA action against the TV channels.
He said that it was the conservative mindset which was criticising PEMRA. Stating that PEMRA functioned like a post office, Absar Alam said that attacks on his character had now started to surface.